* Always unplug unused appliances.
* Always turn off power before you plug or unplug the appliances.
* Stow unused cords safely out of the reach of children, pets, and risky territory.
* Never cover warm appliances with clothes, toys, or other household items.
* Allow for air circulation around the appliances, especially for those which generate heat (clocks, computer monitors, etc.).
* If overheated, give appliances space and turned-off time to cool off.
Finding a qualified electrician can be easier than finding the right carpenter or plumber. You can hope for a great level of competence when an electrician shows you his state license, but this might not always be the case. When searching for the right “Pro” for you – consider asking a few questions and doing a little online research.
Check Credentials An electrician should be licensed by your state. You can find out about local license requirements in your area from the lo